Immigration Issues/l 94


l came to the u.s 7yrs ago with a b1/b2 visa.l lost my l-94 but l have stamp in my passport from the port of lm planning to marry my girlfriend who is an american citizen after divorcing my wife of 3yrs who came to u.s.a with a b1/b2 visa like me. do u think l have a chance of getting my status back {green card} ?and how long do you think its gonna take me to be a u.s citizen? after how long can l travel out of u.s.a?

Althought he I-94 would be nice, you have evidence of your entry.  If you entered legally, but overstayed, marriage to a US citizen will get you a green card.  As to time frame, I wouldn't even pretend to be able to say.  It always takes as long as it takes. However, while you are waiting you can get a temporary work authorization and work.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.