Immigration Issues/l-94

Question
l came legally to the u.s 10yrs ago with b1/b2 visa.l lost my 1-94 but still have still have my passport,visa and the stamp from the port of ently.do know if l have achance of getting a green card if l marry my girlfriend who is an american citizen?and how long will it take for me to get it?also how long does i will l take to be a citizen from the day  l'll get married?is it necessary for her to change her last name to my name when we get married?l also have have a home,two kids,social card,drivers linc,do you think it will be problem .please help before  l take any step.thanks

Answer
Hi Terry,

You can get married anytime. In order to adjust status in the U.S., however, you need proof of legal entry into the U.S. This is shown through attaching the I-94 to the sponsorship paperwork. You can obtain a duplicate I-94 by filing this form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-102.pdf

Also, you can file the I-130 petition along with your adjustment of status application (Form I-485) together, and you can also obtain employment authorization through Form I-765. Forms can be obtained at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis but I recommend that you go through a qualified attorney so that other paperwork not discussed in this email such as Affidavit of Support, etc. are properly prepared.

It can take about one year to obtain residency status in the U.S. once the I-130/I-485 etc. are filed together (along with the I-94).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora