Immigration Issues/late filing of I-751

Question

I will not be able to meet the deadline for filing the I-751 due to ongoing divorce proceeedings.

What should I do? Or rather what USCIS will do when my status expires?

Their site says you  can write a letter to the director explaining  the reason for the delay and you might be able to file later within "reasonable time" What is reasonable time for the USCIS?

Thank you,
Nick

Answer
My recommendation is to file the I-751 singly (not jointly, as your spouse will surely not sign the Form) on the basis that the marriage was bonafide when entered into. The USCIS will accept the filing but will not approve the I-751 until the divorce is finalized.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora