You are here:

Immigration Issues/marriage to a US Citizen and i am a UK citizen


I am a UK citizen my partner is a US citizen.. what would be the correct path to take to enable me to temporary live and work in the US asap.. would marriage mean immediate US citizenship

Marriage does not mean immediate citizenship.  However, it does mean Immediate Permanent Resident Visa.  But as with all things related to the government, the word Immediate does not mean NOW.

You have two options.  File for the Visa in the UK, and then wait for the process at the embassy which can take 2 to 18 months.  Or come to the US, and then get married here.  After marriage, you then apply for the visa along with an adjustment of status.  Now this may take 2 to 3 years, but while you are waiting you are legally in the US and can work.

If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]