Immigration Issues/marriage to marine


Hello. I am an au pair( J1) visa, I am changing my status to B2 right now ( still processing). My fiancee is us citizen and he is marine. I would like to ask you... if my visa is changed to B2 could we get married just before it expires. The marriage would be probably just a month ar two before he will deploy. Would it be a problem with INS. I don't want to be deported because I got married on B visa. We really wanted to go through a K1 visa but we wanted to use the time when he would be in in Iraq for processing all our documents so I could be here when he returns, but we think that is impossible because he is suppose to be in US when visa is processing. Please help us. Can we get married just before he leaves and while my B2 is still valid?

If you are in the USA you can get married any time you like.  In many regards this is an advantage and whoever told you otherwise I would question the advice and the knowledge.  I would suggest you contact and experienced attorney and have him help you.  Your case is a little more complicated then the average Immediate Relative Petition.  I believe what you are doing now may be unnecessary and actually counter-productive.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.