Immigration Issues/marriage and permanent residence

I submited I485 to adjust to permanent residence in 2001. Also, I am getting married next month to a person who has the 'green card' for 20 years. How will my marriage affect my applications for I485? Will it be wiser and faster to submit another application for the 'green card' through marriage? On my application I485, I have both of my children, how my marriage will affect their status?
Thanking you in advance!
Kat, San Diego, CA

I assume that your I-485 is an employment based filing.  Without discussing the matter with you in detail I cannot say for sure but my initial opinion is that you should stay with the employment based filing.  It will take several years to adjust based on marriage to a permanent resident.

James D. Mills, Esq.

I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.

I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997