Immigration Issues/A marriage question

Question
Mr. Mills,
My girlfriend and son are currently living with me in Seattle. Both are here legally on tourist visa's from Venenzuela which expire in Feb 2006. The question is, if we were to get married here in the states how easy would it be for them to stay permanantly. Her son is enrolled in school here currently. We have known eachother for 2 years and she did live in Virginia legally years ago with family members. Thanks for your time.

Answer
Probably pretty easy (assuming that you are a US Citizen).  There may be a few potential problems.    The most major problem would be preconceived intent and immigration fraud.  If your girlfriend said she was coming for a 6 month visit, and then immediately registered her son for school, that seems to indicate that she had no intention of just visiting.

James D. Mills, Esq.