Immigration Issues/A marriage question


Mr. Mills,
My girlfriend and son are currently living with me in Seattle. Both are here legally on tourist visa's from Venenzuela which expire in Feb 2006. The question is, if we were to get married here in the states how easy would it be for them to stay permanantly. Her son is enrolled in school here currently. We have known eachother for 2 years and she did live in Virginia legally years ago with family members. Thanks for your time.

Probably pretty easy (assuming that you are a US Citizen).  There may be a few potential problems.    The most major problem would be preconceived intent and immigration fraud.  If your girlfriend said she was coming for a 6 month visit, and then immediately registered her son for school, that seems to indicate that she had no intention of just visiting.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.