Immigration Issues/marriage visa


I entered the US with an H1b visa but am now out of status for 1.5 yrs.  I am planning to marry a US citizen in December 2007.  Will I be eligible for a change of status to a US citizen after this marriage?  What are the other legal implications of such a marriage?  Thank you.

Yes. You will be eligible for adjustment of status. However, DO NOT LEAVE the country until you are married, the papers have been filed, and you have filed for and received a valid parole re-entry permit.

As for your request for "other legal implications" that is a little too broad a question to deal with here.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]