Immigration Issues/marriage visa

Question
I entered the US with an H1b visa but am now out of status for 1.5 yrs.  I am planning to marry a US citizen in December 2007.  Will I be eligible for a change of status to a US citizen after this marriage?  What are the other legal implications of such a marriage?  Thank you.

Answer
Yes. You will be eligible for adjustment of status. However, DO NOT LEAVE the country until you are married, the papers have been filed, and you have filed for and received a valid parole re-entry permit.

As for your request for "other legal implications" that is a little too broad a question to deal with here.

Alexander J. Hay