Immigration Issues/getting married


I came to the U.S. to study with F-1 visa. I recently married to a citizen, so I want to change my statu. These are my question:
1) Where to begin (means that which form I should submit)?
2) Since we (me and my husband)are full time students, we might move depend on which university we get acceppted. is this bad to get working permit and green card?
3)for mext few monthes, we(me and my husband) want to stay in Korean so that we can prepare our wedding(but we already have our marrige license though). Therefore, we are planing to submit all files first, and get travel permit so that I can come back to u.s. but is that a bad idea staying outside of the u.s. while my files are processing in the U.S. so it is better to submit files and get a green card in Korea?

thank you for your time.

Having a license does not make you married.  You must have a marriage certificate that is signed and dated.

The USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, for you. This petition is filed by your relative (sponsor) and must be accompanied by proof of your relationship to the requesting relative.

The Deparment of State must determine if an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you, the foreign national, even if you are already in the United States. When an immigrant visa number is available, it means you can apply to have one of the immigrant visa numbers assigned to you. You can check the status of a visa number in the Department of State's Visa Bulletin.

If you are already in the United States, you may apply to change your status to that of a lawful permanent resident after a visa number becomes available to you. This is one way you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number. If you are outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, you must then go to the U.S. consulate servicing the area in which you reside to complete your processing. This is the other way to secure an immigrant visa number.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.