You are here:

Immigration Issues/i will marry before my oath taking for citizenship takes place


Hi.This is my follow up question regarding the illegal alien marrying a greencard holder waiting for his oath taking.
(1) My fiance just got the letter for the date of his oath taking today ( it will be this aug. 25). There's a question in the letter if he married since his last interview. If he's answer is yes, would there be any effect or delays for him to  get his certificate of citizenship?
We are planning to get married before his oath taking coz we dont have much time left before his deployment this september 1.
(2) Once he gets his certificate of citizenship, can we file my adjustment of status right away? How soon?
(3)Another problem, if i file my papers here in Alaska, once my fiance gets deployed to Iraq, i will be moving in with my sister to the east coast and come back to alaska after 4 months when he comes back. What would you recommend that I should do?  Do you think the immigration will ask me to do stuff within that four months?
We will forward all our mails to the east coast so I will still receive the leteers coming from the immigration office.

As long as you are honest there should be no problems.  Once he has his citizenship, you apply for the visa and adjustment  of status.  As for where to file, I really cannot tell you.  If you plan on living in Alaska that would be best.  But that really depends upon you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.