Immigration Issues/marrying a Canadian

Question
Hello Alexander,

I am an American and my partner David is a Canadian graduate student with a visa to study in the US.  We would like to get married, but are not sure of the regulations.  A complicating factor is that we are both archaeologists working in BZ and Guatemala, and MUST spend about 6 months every year in Central America.  Can we get married, change David's visa status, and continue to work in Central America?  Can you point us in the right direction for current regulations?
Thank you very much
Jennifer

Answer
Well getting married is not the problem.  And frankly coming into the US is not a problem either since Candadians don't need visas to enter the US.  The only real advantage to getting a green card will come when he wants to work in the US.

The easiest thing to do is just get married, file the paperwork in the consulate in which you reside (hopefully BZ or Guatemala), and then wait.  

Or you can file in the US, and then he can go to Canada to get visa issued.

That is the only real tricky issue:  Where to get the visa issued.

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay