Immigration Issues/marrying a Canadian


Hello Alexander,

I am an American and my partner David is a Canadian graduate student with a visa to study in the US.  We would like to get married, but are not sure of the regulations.  A complicating factor is that we are both archaeologists working in BZ and Guatemala, and MUST spend about 6 months every year in Central America.  Can we get married, change David's visa status, and continue to work in Central America?  Can you point us in the right direction for current regulations?
Thank you very much

Well getting married is not the problem.  And frankly coming into the US is not a problem either since Candadians don't need visas to enter the US.  The only real advantage to getting a green card will come when he wants to work in the US.

The easiest thing to do is just get married, file the paperwork in the consulate in which you reside (hopefully BZ or Guatemala), and then wait.  

Or you can file in the US, and then he can go to Canada to get visa issued.

That is the only real tricky issue:  Where to get the visa issued.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.