You are here:

Immigration Issues/marrying someone who's is here(US) with Student Visa. (i'm a Permanent REsident in the U.S.


I am an immigrant in the U.S.(green card holder). i am planning to marry my girlfriend who's actually here in the U.S. with student visa. My main concern is "1. what woulde be her status after marriage. 2. Could she work in the U.S 3. Could she go visist her parents(Japan) or she has to stay for a couple of years before she could get out the country.

any reponce would be much aprreciated.  

She would still be in F1 status once you get married.  Your marraige would give her no immigration benefit until you get your US citizenship.  It may in fact be detrimental to her in continuing to maintain her nonimmigrant status.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.