Immigration Issues/marrying a canadian


i am a canadian. iam currently attending school in the us. iam dating an american and we plan on getting married. ive heard some regulations they have about the issue, but iam not sure if theyre correct. can you please let me know what is involved in the process of us getting married. i appreciate it. thanks

Marriage to a US citizen can help you.  Your spouse will be able to file a petition for you to obtain a green card.  You can also adjust your status here instead of having to return to your home country to process the visa.  There are advantages to both methods, but most people prefer to stay.

Best of luck and hope everything works out! Let me know if you need any help.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.