You are here:

Immigration Issues/Can my mother transfer citizenship?


Hello, I was born in Canada in 1974 to a US citizen mother and Canadian father. MY mother did not register my birth at an embassy. My mother was born in the US in 1952 and moved to Canada in 1968. In 1979 she was granted dual citizenship. In May 2004, my mother moved back to the US where she is currently working and living. I have been in the US as an H1B since 01. Now that she is back in the US, can she accumulate the remaining residency time to pass citizenship to me? If so, what steps do we need to take? I thank you so much for your help.Sincerely, Cathy

The Child Citizenship Act (CCA) declares that children who are younger than 18 years of age and have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen whether by birth or naturalization will acquire automatic citizenship. Under the CCA, qualifying children who immigrate to the United States with a U.S. citizen parent automatically acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry; children who live abroad acquire citizenship on approval of an application and the taking of the oath of allegiance.

Under the CCA, you will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:
At least one parent is a U.S. citizen,
The child is under 18 years of age, and
The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.

If the requirements listed above are satisfied, the child automatically acquires U.S. citizenship by operation of law on the day he or she is admitted to the United States as an immigrant. Your citizenship status is no longer dependent on USCIS approving a naturalization application.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.