Immigration Issues/US naturalization and citizenship

Question
Dear Sir,

I have 2 questions.

1. I came to US first on sept 19 2000 as a permanent resident and went back on oct 15 2000 to complete my studies in india but I filed for renetry permit before leaving which got approved till March 2003. I used the reentry permit to enter US on Oct 27 2002. Now, I have been a permanent resident for close to 7 years but can I apply for US naturalization/citizenship now or do I have to wait till oct 28th 2007?

2. Can I file N-400 for US naturalization and leave US for a short visit? Thanks.

Kartik

Answer
Hi Kartik,

You can file N-400 up to 3 months before Oct. 28, 2007. In other words, it is OK to file now (August, 2007). The N-400 will not be approved prior to Oct. 28, 2007 (but the processing time will take longer than that anyway, as nobody expects approval of N-400 in a couple of months). You can also depart the U.S. anytime, but do keep any visits under 6 months.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora