Immigration Issues/notify embassy

Question
i went here in the United States as a tourist visa, and changed my status to student visa, taking my second semester this september at los angeles community college, this april i applied for my working visa which i did not use any lawyer for some reason my friend was the one who filled for me. and the immigration asked for rfe regarding on my file, that was the time i used a lawyer. for a few months it got approved, to my surprissed my lawyer told me that my friend checked notify embassy rather than change of status, which now i need to go to mexico on the last week of september. my papers got lost but my employer gave me some new ducuments to support my evidence at the immigration. not exactly the same as i filled before but more updated. is it questionable to the immigration of my student transferring to working? how bad is my situation here? i also got my ss number which is very weird because i went to the immigration in downtown they told me that i dont need to go out of the country and that i can already get my ss number, i went down to the ss administration but was hesitating to give me one because all i can show them is the approvla itself. not having the i-20 or watvr its called. please help me?

Answer

Since the H-1B petition that was filed apparently requested consular notification rather than change of status from F-1 to H-1B, your H-1B status will be activated only when you apply for an H-1B visa at any of the U.S. Consulates in Mexico and then enter the U.S. using the H-1B visa.

There should be no problem at the Consulate as long as you did not change your immigration status from tourist to student within 2 months of your entry into the U.S., or as long as the H-1B petition was not filed within 2 months of being granted change of status to student status. Doing any of the above could possibly be construed as "fraudulent entry".

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora