You are here:

Immigration Issues/oversea job tax issue.


I am a resident alien(green card). I plan to work in an non-American company in Hong Kong. I was told the US tax rule changes recently that I have to pay both US and local tax(Hong Kong). Is that true? What I should do to avoid US tax, giving up my green card, or ..  

yes. You either need to give up your green card, or structure some better way of handling the new job.  If the new employer will treat you like a contract employee, and pay you through a Properly Structured Offshore System, you should be able to avoid paying US taxes, and still keep your green card.



Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.