Immigration Issues/overstay


Hi, a friend of mine was here on a b-1/b-2 visa for 6 months, he overstayed for 58 days.  He would like to return to the states will he have a hard time re entering at the airport?

58 days is not good, but it is a lot worse than 180 days or more. The friend should leave and leave fast. That way he will have a chance of returning. No guarantee that he will not be questioned on why he overstayed his visa by 58 days, but if he stays more than 180 days he will be barred from re-entering for 3 years.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.