Immigration Issues/Having part time job with H1B visa?

Question
Hi -

I am currently working in the States on H1B visa for a company. I am wondering whether I can get a part time job while I am on H1B visa. I understand that I have to work in my major-related field in order to get my H1B. Does it apply to part time jobs as well? Say I am a science major, could I get a part time job as a cashier in a store?

Answer
Hi Natalie,

H-1B status is employer specific, and therefore if you want to work elsewhere the new employer must file an H-1B petition for you as well.

The job (part-time is OK) must be a specialty occupation requiring a relevant bachelor's degree or above. The job of cashier is not suitable, as this position does not normally require a specific bachelor's degree in order to perform the job.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora