Immigration Issues/personal debt before marriage.

Question
I am due to get married to a US citizen.I am a UK citizen. as I have not been married before I am reashearching all of my fears and doubts and was wandering if you would be so kind as to answer a few questions for me.

1. If my fiance (US citizen) has personal debts before we are married, will they become my debts or effect me during the marriage and also would they effect me if we were to get divorced?

2. If my fiance (US citizen) filed for bankruptcy before we got married, would that affect me getting my workers permit, or would it affect me at all?

3. If my fiance and I were already married and after I recieved my workers permit/green card, she then filed for bankruptcy. Would that affect my workers permit etc? Would I become bankrupt also?

4. My fiance has three children. If we got married and ever got divorced. Would I still have any responsibility (financially) over the children after becoming divorced?

5. when my fiance (US citizen) and I become married if she has personal debts before the marriage and we decide to share a joint bank account, does her debt then become mine? Also in this case, if we were to get divorced, having shared a bank account with her, would I be responsible for any of her debt after a divorce?

I realise that there are a lot of questions here and I would like to thank you very much for your assistance in answering them.

Thank you again,

James.

Answer
Hi Jason,

I do not specialize in bankruptcy or divorce law, and so therefore I cannot assist you with the vast majority of your questions. Regarding marriage, you can get legally married irrespective of any financial problems that you or your wife may be having.

Problems could arise, however, at the adjustment of status (marriage) interview, when you are scheduled to receive your green card if the marriage is considered to be a bonafide marriage. If it is shown during the interview that you are likely to become a burden on the government (whether the federal, state, or local government) because of your wife's bankruptcy (your personal bankruptcy should make no difference), then you may be denied a green card.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora