You are here:

Immigration Issues/Do I qualify for US citizenship?


I am currently in the US as an H1B worker and my 6 year stay will expire in JUne 07. I was born in Canada in 1974 to a US citizen mother and Canadian father. My mother never reported my birth to the Embassy. I have read several rules about the length of time my mother had to have lived in the US in order to pass citizenship to me. She was born in 1952 in the US and moved to Canada when she was 16. In May 2004 she moved back to the US where she still now lives. Will she have accumulated the required years to pass citizenship to me by 2007? If so, how long will it take to process and would I be able to stay and work while the application is pending? Sincerely, Cathy  

I think you may qualify for citizneship based on section 301 (g). To try and find out go and apply for a U.S. passport. Show them proof of your mom's citizenship and proof that she has been here for more than 5 years. You should be able to get a passport, which will be your proof of citizenship. You can then apply for a certificqte of citizenship if you want but you do not have to.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.