Immigration Issues/regarding the IRS 1722 letter

Question
The Naturalization Interview asked for a copy of the IRS 1722 letter. I have a question about what is the IRS 1722 letter. If I have a copy of all my tax returns will that work. I need it for the past 5 years and I have it till 2002 without 2001 because I did not have any income during that year therefore I did not file a tax return.
Thank you.

Answer
Although you may have your tax returns, copies are often tampered with.  TO avoid that, certified copies from IRS are required, which is what the 1722 letter will facilitate.
Follow these instructions:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING TRANSCRIPTS OF TAX RETURN,COPIES OF TAX RETURNS,OR 1722LETTERSWhich should you request? If you are requesting tax returns for verification, use the following chart to determine which item to request. If you filed a: Request 1040 or 1040A Return transcript 1040EZ Return transcript or Letter 1722 Amended return Return transcript AND Letter 1722 Call 1-800-829-1040 and request a transcript by using the automated system. Please follow the options listed below. WHEN CALLING BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 7:00 AM AND 10:00 PM, PLEASE SELECT THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS: Option 2 (Personal Tax Account) Option 2 (Personal Tax Account) Enter your Taxpayer ID Number (SSN, ITIN, or EIN) Option 1 (Transcripts) Enter the numbers in your street address. Enter the year of the Return you are requesting. IF YOU ARE CALLING AT ANY OTHER TIME PLEASE SELECT THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS: Option 2 Enter your Taxpayer ID Number (SSN, ITIN, or EIN). Option 1 Enter the numbers in your street address. Option 2 Enter the year of the Return you are requesting. Your transcript(s) will be mailed within 10 to 15 daysOR, you may complete Form 4506, REQUEST FOR COPY OR TRANSCRIPT OF TAX FORM, which is available on line at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf. Mail it to the address indicated on the form and you should receive your transcript within 10 15days.  

David