Immigration Issues/Will my sister have to wait for her papers in HAITI

Question
I am a US citizen wanting to apply for my adult sister to become a resident. She is already in the US; she came on a Visitor's Visa she has been expired. She has no children or husband and due to her disability she is completely dependent on me. I want to know if she will be sent to our country, Haiti, to wait for her papers or not?  

Answer
Hi Harlan,

You can sponsor your sister now--she will be in the 4th family preference category: http://www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

However, she will not be able to adjust status until a visa becomes available in that category. For her to continue to remain legally in the U.S. until she is able to file for adjustment of status, she must continue to maintain valid nonimmigrant status such as visitor's visa status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora