Immigration Issues/status


Hi, Mr.Hay,
I am a U.S. citizen. My wife came as F1 student. After we got married here, she applied for her green card, which is still pending because of the background check. She got her advanced parole and we plan to visit her parents in China soon, and her parents want to visit U.S. right after that. But we are not sure that if my wife should invite her parents stating she is on F1 status or no status when her parents go to apply for the visa to the U.S. Thanks.

She is no longer in the USA on an F1. The F1 visa was terminated when the visa application for the greencard was accepted.  As such she will be allowed to leave the US and come back with her advance parole re-entry permit, and she can have her parents request a B visa to visit her in the US, but that makes no difference. They will grant the visa to her parents based not on your wife's current status, but on the probability of the parents returning to their home after a brief visit.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.