You are here:

Immigration Issues/study visa to work visa-reg



If I take up a study visa (US,Canada, Aus), will I able to work in that particular country after the completion of the course? That is, if I'm able to find an employer there on the basis of the certificate I get? or is it mandatory to get back to my home country?

I cannot answer for all countries but in the US a student after finishing his education he can get an optional practical training (OPT) to work and then after it expires within one year if you can obtain an employer you could get a work visa for further periods of stay in the United States. To simply answer your question--You do not need to go back to your country after your education.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.