You are here:

Immigration Issues/switching from E3 to L1 visa


Hi, I am an executive working for an Australian company with a fully owned subsidiary in the US. I was transferred to the US subsidiary in April '07 for 2 yrs under an E3 visa, with the requirement that my employment contract be held by the US subsidiary. The company has just restructured and my contract is now to be held by the Australian parent company, whilst located in the US. Is this in breach of the E3 visa? If so, what are my options? I noted that the L1 visa may be more appropriate under these circumstances (as I meet all the criteria). What are my options for switching from an E3 to an L1 visa? My spouse has been granted a visa under the E3 as well, so how would switching to an L1 visa impact us? I am currently in Australia on business and am scheduled to return to the US in 4 weeks.
Much appreciated, thank you

You can switch from E-3 to L-1, provided you qualify for an L-1 visa. If you are approved, your spouse would be granted an L-2. With an Employment authorization he should also be able to work.
Best of luck.
Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.