You are here:

Immigration Issues/taking a foreign gov job.


Sorry, but i have one more follow up question. But do I still have the same tax obligation to U.S If i live and work oversea?

Thank you so much

Followup To
Question -
Hi, i am a duel citizenship holder and i am currently being offered a gov job from another country.My question is, if I take the job and relocate oversea am i gonna be at risk of losing my U.S citizenship?

Answer -
I cannot see how. Unless you are fighting against the US for an enemy nation, you can work for whom ever you want.

Yes, and no.  You owe no taxes on the first 80,000 or so dollars you make in salary.  After that you have to pay income taxes, and you still have to pay taxes on interest, dividends, and capital gains.

However, there are some very simple ways of avoiding any taxation whatsoever (at least by the US).

Alexander J. Hay III

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.