Immigration Issues/u.s. visit


 hi Mr. Hay! recently, I met someone online who lives now in the u.k.  we have been talking back and forth, and now planning on her to visit here in the u.s. for 6-12 months. so, what I need to ask is, what are the procedures for her to be here in our country legally?  they have talked about getting a visa there in the u.k., but I know nothing about the subject. first, can they get a visa there for the u.s.? second, what, if anything, would I need to do on my end to stay within the law getting her here for a visit of that time frame. thanks so much Mr. Hay!!

Well to stay for more than 90 days requires a visa, but citizens of the UK don't need a visa for less than that.  They can enter on the waiver program with nothing other than their passport.  It will be difficult for a UK citizen to get a visa since they don't need one.  They will need a good reason, and visiting a friend isn't good enough, particularly when they do not need one for that.  

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.