Immigration Issues/unsure

Question
Hello Mr. Arora,
 I'm in the USA on a CR1 visa and working at a university here. My marriage is not working but my spouse told me they would not give me a divorce and would kill me before they do. I don't want to give up my job but I also do not want to stay with a person who treats me as their maid instead of their mate. Please tell me what I can do to end this loveless marriage and hold on to a job I have come to love.

Answer
Hi Desha,

A conditional resident such as yourself is normally expected to file a petition jointly with the sponsoring spouse in order for the conditional resident spouse to be granted permanent resident status.

However, Form I-751 does allow for you to sign the form (Form I-751) singly (without the support of the sponsoring spouse) and still obtain permanent resident status as long as you can show that the marriage was a bonafide marriage at the time that it was entered into. Normally you would also have to show that you have been subject to physical abuse or extreme mental cruelty.

Form I-751 can be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751.pdf

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora