Immigration Issues/visa for a nanny

Question
hi!  how can an American sponsor a foreigner to enter and work legally (as a domestic helper) in the U.S.?  What are the procedures?

Thank you.  

Answer
It is not easy.  frankly I have never seen it done as the cost is prohibitive.  You would have to do a labor certification to prove that there is a shortage of "nannies" in the US.  This is a very complicated procedure and involves defining the job, the fair-market wage, etc, and then posting it as an advertisement.  If anyone answers the advertisment, you don't get your nanny.

Usually people want a nanny from outside the US because they are unwilling to pay the going rate for a nanny in the US.  As such nothing will work.

The only other option is the au pair route.  Not a nanny thought.  Just someone who is visiting the US, staying in your house, and agreeing to help out a bit in exchange for your hospitality.  Usually only a few months or so in duration.

Take care and good luck.

Alexander J. Hay