Immigration Issues/visa for a nanny


hi!  how can an American sponsor a foreigner to enter and work legally (as a domestic helper) in the U.S.?  What are the procedures?

Thank you.  

It is not easy.  frankly I have never seen it done as the cost is prohibitive.  You would have to do a labor certification to prove that there is a shortage of "nannies" in the US.  This is a very complicated procedure and involves defining the job, the fair-market wage, etc, and then posting it as an advertisement.  If anyone answers the advertisment, you don't get your nanny.

Usually people want a nanny from outside the US because they are unwilling to pay the going rate for a nanny in the US.  As such nothing will work.

The only other option is the au pair route.  Not a nanny thought.  Just someone who is visiting the US, staying in your house, and agreeing to help out a bit in exchange for your hospitality.  Usually only a few months or so in duration.

Take care and good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.