You are here:

Immigration Issues/visa overstay grace period


My niece is currently in the US on a rotary scholarship.  Her visa will finish on
July 29th.  Does that mean she has to be physically out of the US by the end of
that day, or is there a grace period so she could spend a few extra days on
vacation before leaving the US?  Thanks.

Well there is a "grace" period of 180 days to the extent that if she overstays her visa within that period there is no real negative consequences as long as she does leave on her own.  Also, there is generally a 90 day period after a student finishes the studies before the visa expires, and even this is somewhat vague since students can then proceed to "transfer" to another school to pursue additional education.  

On the other hand it should not be terribly difficult to change status from her current student visa to a tourist  visa, thereby giving her a bit of extra time to stay if she wanted.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]