You are here:

Immigration Issues/visiting and wanting to stay in US


My son and daughter-in-law have come to visit from Canada. They have
Canadian citizenship.  I have dual citizenship from Canada and now the
US.  They have decided they would like to stay here.  I know I can
sponsor him for a green card but it takes time.  Can he apply for an EAD now
that he is here and I just go ahead with the family based immigration
for him?  He just came with a passport.  What else do they need to have?

What you have described is a false pretense to enter the United States.  Your son and daughter in law presented themselves as non-immigrants visiting the US whenin fact they were intending immigrants.  This is a deportable offense.  You may petition for them, however, if they stay beyond their duration of status, they will find it will be difficult to immigrate legally.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.