You are here:

Immigration Issues/i want my husband to become legal


well i have been married almost 4 yrs with my husband and I am a us citizen but he entered illegally into this country but i now want to submit papers to immigration but we are scared because we have heard that he would have to leave the country for the same time he has been here illegally which is 7 yrs as a penalty for entering illegally. my question is that can we just pay a fine as penalty or he would have to leave to his country until they approve him.?

Unfortunately you are right. But you need to explore if your husband is eligible for 245i.  If anyone had filed an I-130 petition for him or file a labor certification before April 2001 he would be eligible.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.