Immigration Issues/Can I work with 1099 while I am in H1B status

Question
Dear Mr. Ajay,
  I recently transferred my HIB to a new employer (since 4 months).My new employer issues me cheque every month without any deductions (taxes or ssn).I dont even get the pay slips. When enquired he mentioned that he would issue form 1099 at the end of the year. I understand that this is normally issued for independent contractor type of worker. Please awaken me on how i need to proceed in this situation

Thank you

Sincerely,
Arivazhagan Vasudevan

Answer
Dear Arivazhagan,

In order for you to maintain H-1B status, you must be a W-2 employee rather than a 1099 contractor.

I recommend that you either convince your employer to make you a W-2 employee. If this is not possible, then transfer your H-1B status to another employer as soon as possible. If you cannot locate another employer willing to file H-1B petition for you, then you may need to depart the U.S. in order to avoid technical violations of H-1B status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora