Immigration Issues/work permit


I have a friend that comes here from kazakhstan, to visit. She has a b-2 visa. She is coming in march for a few months, and she wants to work legally while she is here. What does she need to do?

Obtain a visa that gives here the right to work inside the US.  This is not an easy process, and not one that should be viewed lightly.  Not everyone in the world has the right to get on a plane and come and work in the US.  I really don't know why people think that is the case.  

If she cannot afford to come here unless she works illegally, then she should not come.  If she wants to work legally, she will need a sponsor who is willing to sponsor her and file all the necessary documents to establish her credentials and the fact that there is a certified job that requires her services.  If she is unable or unwilling to go through this difficult and expensive process then she should not try.  I know if I went to Kazakhstan, and the first thing I did was defy their immigration laws, it would not be a pleasant stay for me.

Best of luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]