Immigration Issues/work permit for US


Dear James,

a friend of mine in Germany has a restaurant business and would like to expand to the US.  He was thinking of opening a small food stand (similar to a hot dog booth here).
What are the legal ways to get permition to come to the US for a 3-4 months period as initial test phase.  He would bring with him or build here what he will need to start up.  

I appreciate your advice,


An E-2 visa is a possibility but there needs to be a significant investment in the new business.  An L-1 may also be possible.  The discussion and analysis of which of these options is best or even possible is beyond what can be done here.  He needs to consult with an experience immigration attorney.  We do lots of E visas and several of the people in my office speak fluent German.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.