Immigration Issues/work permit

Question
My father brought me to the u.s. when I was only 5 years old and have had my petition approved since 1997.  I am now 21 and a high school graduate.  I have 2 children that are 4 and 3 and a fiancee that are u.s. citizens.  What would be the quickest way to obtain a green card or work permit to further my studies in college?

Answer

The quickest way to obtain your green card is to marry your fiancee. Within 3 months you will receive employment authorization card. In another few months the marriage interview will take place, and if everything goes well you will receive conditional resident status. Between 21 to 24 months after obtaining conditional resident status, you and your husband will jointly sign a petition which will convert your conditional resident status to permanent resident status.

If you wait for your children to sponsor you, it will be a long wait; a child can sponsor a parent only when the child is 21 years old.

Re. the petition that your father filed for you in 1997, if you are from Mexico you will need to wait many more years for a visa to be available in the 1st family preference category.

Therefore, marriage to a U.S. citizen is the quickest option.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora