Increasing Self-Esteem/Re: How to stop feeling inferior

Dear Brenda,

I am a 23 year old male living in the United States. Over the last six months or so, for some reason I have become strangely fixated over my height. I am 5'7" which, objectively, isn't very short but in terms of media perceptions it is. Now, more and more, I feel a bit inferior, especially when I see taller women.

It's a little embarrassing that I even feel this, and I don't know where it really comes from. I feel as though throughout my life I've had inferiority-complex over different things which I overcame over time, but at age 23, this is bothering me and I want to be able to not feel inferior.

Any advice?

Hi Bilal,  
There are some things that we cannot change or as I like to say… sometimes, “It is what it is and there’s nothing that I can do about it.” This is one of those situations.  You cannot make yourself taller.  But, what you can do is grin and bear it.  There will always be someone taller.  Love begins with you.  Change what you can, and choose not to worry about what you cannot.  Focus that energy on building your strengths.  I hope this helps

Increasing Self-Esteem

Brenda Douglas

It would be my pleasure to answer questions that will help you to love and celebrate your uniqueness as I have a passion for serving as a confidence coach and answering questions that will help you to live a victorious lifestyle without compromising high standards. Growing in confidence involves developing cognitively, physically, emotionally, socially, and professionally. Building your self-esteem is a lifelong commitment that takes diligent effort.

I am the Founder of Royalty which is an organization that empowers and refines women who are everyday leaders; through interactive workshops, seminars, and courses; a Confidence Coach, and the author of the Everyday Leaders blog at and Recognize Royalty at,

Royalty, Inc.

Personal experience