Increasing Self-Esteem/Son is scared of being alone

Hi,  my son is 8 years old. He is terrified of going upstairs alone. He won't sleep in his room by himself , and if we try to make him sleep in his room alone, he will pee and poop in his room. We have tried making his room more comfortable by redecorating it with things that interest him, but that didn't help.  I can't even get him to go upstairs to get clothes out of his dresser without a fight. My 5 year old daughter is getting tired of him sleeping with her, and wants to sleep alone.  I remember being afraid of sleeping alone when I was little, but it was not to this extent (I also know that my fear came from seeing "The Exorcist" and "Poltergeist" when I was far too young, we don't let him watch movies like this).  Do you have any ideas on how to help my son understand that his room is not scary and to make the transition to his room?

Dear Amber, This must  be difficult for you. I am not sure if I am able to answer this. One reason why a young person may be developing anxiety without any logical reason is when they consume too much sugar. This may cause prediabetic insulin resistance called hypoglycemia ( This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (  Do you have any family members who suffer or have suffered from diabetes?

Another way you could help your son is by changing the colour of of light in his bed room into a pink colour. I have explained this at:

Lighting and Behaviour

If things do not work out , please discuss this with you doctor or nutritional doctor or clinical psychologist. You need a one-to-one relationship to get at the bottom of this with a professional.

Let us know how you are getting along.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Increasing Self-Esteem

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Depression, Anxiety Attacks and Self-Esteem Problems, Drug Addiction and Alcoholism, Gambling, as well as the whole gamut of personality disorders.

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook". It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)