Increasing Self-Esteem/self-esteem and mental health

Question
I am a 34 years old single guy from india. I have been suffering from bipolar disorder for the last 12 years and have been under medication for the same. I have been in and out of several jobs during this period. I work for some time somehow cannot continue and i quit. While i see people around me (esp. my friends) living a healthy and productive lives with a proper career, i seem to have no stable career. I have developed a very low self esteem as i value myself only by my success in career and life. I even feel suicidal because of this. Please advice.

Answer
Hi Prashant,

You mentioned that you "feel suicidal" but there is hope!! First and foremost, don't suffer contact
In the US 1 (800) 273-8255, National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
OR

if you are in India, Please reach to the following
India Suicide Hotlines

Befrienders India - National Association
c/o Sneha, 11 Park View Road
R.A.Puram
600 028
Chennai
Website: befriendersindia.org
Centres

Lifeline Foundation
17/1A Alipore Road
Sarat Bose Road
700 027
KOLKATA
Hotline: +91 33 2474 4704
Hotline: +91 33 2474 5886
Hotline: 2474 5255
Website: education.vsnl.com/n4h/
AASRA
A-4, Tanwar View, CHS,
Plot NO - 43, Sector 7
Koparkhairane
400 701
NAVI MUMBAI
Contact by: Face to Face  - Phone  - Letter:
Hotline: +91 22 2754 6669
Hours:
   Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 09:00 - 21:00

MAITREYI
255 Thyagumudali Street
605001
PONDICHERRY
Hotline: +91-413-339999
Hours:
   Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 14:00 - 20:00

ROSHNI
1-8-303/48/21 Kalavathy Nivas,
Sindhi Colony
S.P. Road
500003 A.P.
SECUNDERABAD
Hotline: +91 40 7904646
E-mail Helpline: help@roshnihyd.org
Hours:
   Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat: 11:00 - 21:00

Saath
B12 Nilamber Complex
H.L. Commerce College Road
Navrangpura
380 006
AHMEDABAD
Hotline: +91 79 2630 5544
Hotline: +91 79 2630 0222
SNEHA
11 Park View Road
(Near Chennai Kaliappa Hospital)
R.A. Puram
600 028
Chennai
Hotline: +91 (0) 44 2464 0050
Website: snehaindia.org
E-mail Helpline: help@snehaindia.org
24 Hour service:

The Samaritans Sahara
Sir J-J. Road
Byculla Bridge
400 008
MUMBAI
Contact by: Face to Face  - Phone  - Letter:  - E-mail:
Hotline: +91-22-2307 3451
Website: mumbainet.com/health/samarita.htm
Hours:
   Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri: 15:00 - 21:00
   Sat, Sun: 10:00 - 21:00

Sumaitri
1 Bhagwandas Lane
Aradhana Hostel Complex
Basement
110 001
NEW DELHI
Hotline: 2338 9090
Website: sumaitri.org
Hours:
   Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri: 14:00 - 22:00
   Sat, Sun: 10:00 - 22:00

MAITHRI - Cochin
Ashirbhavan Road
Kacheripady
Ernakulam Kochi
682 018
Kochi
KERALA
Hotline: +91 239 6272
Website: maithrikochi.org
E-mail Helpline: maithrikochi@yahoo.co.in
Hours:
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 10:00 - 20:00

As far as you noticing the stability of your friends, change begins when you realize that one needs to be made and it begins in the mind. We have to see it in order to obtain it and now that you have been exposed to what life could be like for you as well.  Start moving towards it and DON"T use excuses like "I am bi-polar" or "I don't have..." Don't focus on why you can't; focus on why you must.  Don't let the bioplar illness define you or limit your abilities. There are people who have that illness and yet they have succeeded, you are no different. But, you must go after success and make decisions that will work for you and not against you.  

As far as your career changes, follow your passion.  Make a list of things that you like to do.. for example, talk, be in charge, dogs, cats, being outdoors, helping people, horses, writing, working with numbers/money, investigating/problem solving, working with your hands/physical activities, sports. technology, repair, being creative. And then ONLY choose a job that aligns with your interests.

Answer: Who is Prashant and what does he like to do?  Then let your answer guide your career choices. Let the next job that you go after be one that guides your decision- Do not accept or go after anything else.  Sometimes we choose a job and sometimes a job comes to us.  Either way, make sure that the job is something that you like to do so that you will do it with all of your heart and not want to let it go.

Living a healthy and productive life and having a proper career can be controlled by you.  You make the decision and then do what you must to have those things. Jealousy is not the solution, laziness, suicide (hurting others), or wanting someone else to do it for you is not the answer either.  You can have a healthy and productive life and a career that you enjoy just by deciding to do so.  I hope this helps.  

Brenda

Increasing Self-Esteem

Brenda Douglas