Indian Cuisine/what is this recipe?

I have an Indian friend who grew up in Trinidad.  She would make this wonderful chicken dish (dark meat) that started out with carmelizing brown sugar and then adding all the other ingredients.  I lost the recipe. Do you have any idea what it could be? Thanks -

This is precisely how "brown stewed chicken" and "Ox Tail Stew" is served in Jamaica and on most Caribbean Islands.

The beginning of the recipe always starts out with caramelized sugar - resulting in a thick dark brown sauce (gravy)

Season the meat before cooking it. Best is the night before, if possible, to give the herbs and spices time to infuse into the meat. If you donít have time for that, I do suggest that you let the chicken marinate in the seasonings for a least two hours before frying.

I prefer to do this old-style by browning the chicken. Thatís because all the stuff left in the pan after you fry the chicken is the magic in the gravy. THE SECRET is to include 2 teaspoons of sugar with the chicken seasonings. The sugar burns in the pan and not only adds flavour, but gives the gravy that rich dark color!

Serve it up with rice and peas and vegetables or salad Ö and some Fried Plantains, and youíre good to go!

3lbs Chicken, cut in pieces, though all dark meat is best.

Chicken Seasonings:
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
2 tsp Sugar
4 Large cloves garlic, minced
4 stalk scallion (white part only), chopped

1/2 cup Cooking oil (for frying chicken)
1 Large onion, chopped
1/4 each, Red and Green bell pepper, chopped
2 Sprigs of thyme or 1.5 tsp dried
1 - 2  tsp Hot Pepper sauce
1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
2 cups Hot water
1 tsp salt (to taste)

Tip: Wash the chicken and make sure to dry it with paper towel to remove any water before frying.
1. Season chicken with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic and scallion (green onion). Marinate the chicken overnight of at least one hour before frying.
2. Remove scallion from chicken and, on High heat, fry the chicken in cooking oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
3. Remove half the cooking oil in pan and use remaining oil to fry onions and bell peppers until onions are transparent.
4. Add thyme, hot pepper sauce, tomato ketchup and 1 cup of hot water to pan and stir; taste gravy and add 1 tsp of salt, if needed.
5. Add chicken to gravy. Add 1  cup of  hot water and turn heat to Low and cover pan. Simmer chicken for 30 minutes or until it is tender and the gravy has thickened.

Here is one that is also excellent and without all of the sugar:

Try this:

It's traditionally served with rice and peas, sliced tomatoes / avocado and fried ripe plantain.

8 chicken thighs
1 very large Tomato, chopped
4 -6 stalks scallions, chopped
1 very large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 hot pepper, chopped  (red habanero or scotch bonnet)
1 large carrot, chopped finely
1 lime or 1/4 cup lime juice
5 - 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 - 3 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon of allspice, cracked or ground.
2 tablespoons real soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoon coconut oil

Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.
Combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, allspice (pimento) and soy sauce in a large bowl with the chicken pieces. Cover and marinate at least one hour, but preferably overnight.
Heat oil in a "dutch oven" or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for sauce.
Lightly brown the chicken a few pieces at a time in very hot oil. Place browned chicken pieces on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces.
Drain off excess oil and return the chicken to the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Mix flour and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to minimum and cook another 20 minutes or until tender.

Indian Cuisine

Marc Gray

All questions, general or specific re: the cuisine of the Indian sub-continent

I am an accomplished cook and Indian cooking is my speciality.

Masters of Science