Indian Law/Bond Against ESOP ( Stock Option )

Question
I was working with a company x with salary Rs 6 lac CTC.
I was interviewed by another company and selected and offered job with 7 lac CTC out of which 1.5 lac was in form of stock option and 5.5 lac was normal.ie with out ESOP my salary in new company was lower  and with ESOP higher .
At no point  of time during the interview or at the time of joining there was any mention of any bond to get ESOP.
After 3 month of joining was given bond which said that I had sign a bond for 2 year to work with the company if wanted to get ESOP .
I signed the bond since I could not afford to loose the amount 1.5Lac.
The bond say that I I left the company with in two years I had to return the amount .

As far as I am concerned  1.5 lac was part of my salary .
No special training was given to me by the new company .

After working for 1 year I left the company .
The company is asking me refund the ESOP amount .
The company has with hold my one month salary / form 16 / provident fund amount / clearance certificate .

The company has gone into arbitration to recover Rs 1.5 LAC.

I feel its illegal.
The company used its dominant  position wrt new employee to sign a bond which forces an employee to work for 2 years in order to get his salary in the form of ESOP.
Is this legal?
Regards
Rahul Deshmukh

Answer
The legal system in our country has long back abolished Bonded Labour. As such, no employee can be kept as a Bonded Labour now. The right of an employee to move on to another employment from time to time is a right that will be protected by the Court, as it is his right to livelihood. However, reasonable restrictions can flow from some benefits that have been conferred on an employee vide the decision given by the Supreme Court of India in Niranjan Shankar Golikari v/s The Century Spinning and Manufacturing Company Ltd. (1967 I LLJ 740).What is reasonable restrictions will depend upon the facts and circumstances of the case. Thus, where a person has been the beneficiary of specialized training, the company can certainly put reasonable restrictions on his right. Similarly, it can put restrictions to protect its intellectual property rights.

Article 19 of our Constitution has given fundamental rights to all citizens to do any occupation, trade or business or to practice any profession. Moreover, Section 27 of the Contract Act, subject to reasonable restrictions in certain cases treats all agreements in restraint of trade, business or profession as void.

Accordingly, in the instant case ,the Company cannot compel you to pay the bonded amount, merely because you have excuted the Bond.My advice is that under no circumstances you should agree to pay it.Even if any amount is genuinely recoverable from you, they should recover it against your outstanding dues.Let them prove before the court,the loss actually suffered by them,for your pre-mature termination of the contract.

An employee is governed by the terms of the contract.If it was specified in your appointment letter that you should be governed by the service rules of the Company ,which was in force at the time of your engagement as well as any subsequent rules/modifications thereof, then they were right in  asking  you to execute the Bond.However, as already explained above, it will be enforceable, provided it was for a resonable purpose and not for the purpose to prevent you from availing a better opportunity.

Moreover, the Company could go in for arbitration provided there was an arbitration clause in your agreement or subsequently they executed a separate arbitration agreement with you and otherwiuse not.Even if there was no arbitration clause, you should defend yourself before the Tribunal by challenging its very appointment.

In view of the above, apparently you have a very strong case and nothing to worry about.Please concentrate on your existing job and take all actions in the above matter in consultation with a good lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra