Indian Law/Right of property

Question
QUESTION: Respected Sir, I got remarriage in the year 2011, Prior to my marriage, my wife was widow( her husband was expired about 2 years ago. There was an residential property in the  joint name of her previous husband and his elder borther. Whether, the rights of my wife on the said residential property  is still exists. If so, whether the other brother can sell the said property without consent of my wife. If not, whether we may take legal action if elder borther send this property without any consent of my wife.

ANSWER: Only the true owner acquires ownership in the property.In the instant case ,as per your own statement, the property belongs/belonged jointly to your previous husband and his elder -brother.So if they are alive they are still the owners of the propety and thereafter , it will pass on to others as per their WILL/other Transfer-Documents.

QUESTION: Respected Sir, My question was whether my wife has right on the property even after her remarriage with me whose previous husband was expired and said plot was jointly purchased by her previous husband and his(her husband's borther) brother.

Answer
After re-marriage, your wife has forfeited her right to inherit the ancestral property of her previous husband.Moreover, in the instant case , the property was purchased in the joint-names of her previous husband alogwith  his elder-brother.If it was purchased on either or survivorship basis ,then after the death of her previous husband, her late husband's elder -brother will become the sole owner of the property.Otherwise, her previous husband's share in the property will pass on to persons as per his WILL or in the absence of the WILL to his legal heirs,as per the Succession Certificate issued by the court.Please verify the existing title-deed of the property.Apparently, your wife does not have much merit in the case.However, you may consult a lawyer and also take his views in the matter.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra