Indian Law/service matter

Question
QUESTION: I resigned from the post of Assistant professor from a private engineering college approved by AICTE in Dec 2011. The institution is still showing my name in the faculty list uploaded on its website . In simple words institute is creating a false impression in front of AICTE and concerned public that i am still working with them and is thus overstating its faculty strength. Kindly let me know  can i take legal action  against the institution for showing  misleading information on its website . Can i also claim damages from the institute on account of above violation.

ANSWER: Please immediately serve a legal notice upon the said Institute for giving mis-leading information about you as well as the Institute, claiming damages for the same,in consultation with a lawyer.Otherwise ,you may be held guilty for double employment

QUESTION: sir,
thanks for answering first query .i would like to know since i resigned due to some family problem where there was no possibility for joining somewhere else.I would like to know can i still serve notice and claim damages even if i was not employed somewhere else during this period i.e. if double employment is not applicable in my case.

ANSWER: Have the Institute formally communicated acceptance of your resignation or issued formal release order to you?If not, then first of all send a representation to them to release you on the date specified in the notice period.If even after issue of the release order, they continue to show your name in their website, then it can be treated as a mis-leading statement and at that stage you can claim damages for such false statement about yourself on the ground that after termination of the contract they have no authority to include your name in the list of their faculty.Moreover,it may give a false impression to your new employer that you are engaged in double employment by suppressing the said information to them.They may even take disciplinary action against you and put you on unnecessary mental agony.Even if you are not further employed,you can claim damages for mis-statement because they are giving mis-leading information to the public.

In view of the above, please take necessary action in the matter after consulting a lawyer conversant with service law matters.

QUESTION: THANKS FOR THE VALUABLE GUIDANCE,

ACTUALLY THE INSTITUTE ISSUED TWO APPOINTMENT LETTERS IN MY NAME AT THE TIME OF MY APPOINTMENT  -ONE OF THE LETTER MENTIONED CONSOLIDATED SALARY. THIS LETTER WAS GIVEN TO ME. THE SECOND LETTER MENTIONED FULL SCALE AND WAS SUBMITTED TO AICTE OFFICE THE COPY OF WHICH HAS BEEN OBTAINED BY ME FROM AICTE OFFICE THROUGH RTI. IN SIMPLE WORDS THE INSTITUTE CREATED A FALSE IMPRESSION IN FRONT OF AICTE THAT I AM BEING  PAID FULL SCALE AS PER AICTE NORMS BUT IN REALITY PAID ME A CONSOLIDATED SALARY I.E THEY DIDNOT PAY ME D.A AND ARREARS AS PER STATE GOVT NORMS FROM TIME TO TIME BUT INSTEAD PAID A FIXED AMOUNT FOR SUCH ALLOWANCES DURING THE TENURE OF MY SERVICE I.E AROUND 1.5 YEARS . THEREFORE I RESIGNED BY SENDING THEM AN EMAIL WITHOUT GIVING ANY NOTICE PERIOD. THEY WANTED ME TO DEPOSIT TWO MONTH SALARY AS PER CLAUSE IN APPOINTMENT LETTER. BUT SINCE  I HAD NOT BEEN PAID SALARY AS PER NORMS I DIDNT DEPOSIT THE AMOUNT AND TILL DATE THEY HAVE NOT ISSUED ME ANY FORMAL CONFIRMATION OF RESIGNATION.KINDLY PROVIDE YOUR VALUABLE GUIDANCE.

Answer
Please institute a suit against the Institute for doing a forgery relating to your appointment.Since they have asked you to deposit the two months salary, it proves that they have received the said notice.If there is any shortage in notice period ,they can adjust it against your outstanding dues.They have no right to ask you to deposit any money for the purpose.I would advice you to file a civil as well as criminal case against them.Please also immediately lodge a complaint to the AICTE about their illtreatment to you alongwith a copy to the Central as well as State Govt.If your allegations are true , they are likely to take serious action against them.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra