Indian Law/30000 due for 3 days .. Please advice me

Question

I joined in an IT company 4 months back. The job profile was entirely different from what they offered at the time of interview and as per the Offer letter also. So on the first day itself , I informed them I am not able to work in this profile since  it is entirely different from what they offered me. I had discussion with the resource manager and he confirmed that they have this type of profiles are available. And asked me inorder to relieve me I have to pay 3 months basic salary .So I sent them email that I canot continue in this position and I left after two days.
I didnt receive any remuneration from them.

After 1 month I got a mail from them that since I am absconding all information about me will be deleted from their database.

Now after 4 months ( 07 Nov 2012) I got a letter through courrier  saying that I have to pay dues of Rs.30000/- by before 9th July 2012 since I didnt serve the mandatory notice period of 3 months. ( Also please note the ambiguity in dates)

So Could you please advice me what to do on this .

If you need any further info please let me know.

Thanking you,

Sincerly,

Shameer

Answer
Your ex-employer had no right to ask you to do anything, which was beyond the terms of your engagement.Further, you have every right to resign as per the termination clause in the Agreement.However, if the said terms provided either prescribed period of notice or pay in lieu thereof to terminate the contract,then they can rightly ask you to pay in lieu of any shortage in the notice period.Since, you have expressed your intention to resign through e-mail, their allegation against you that you are absconding is false and baseless.Further, they have weakened their case by putting the charge of absconding against you.If you are absconding,how can they claim pay in lieu of notice, which is payable in case of pre-mature termination of contract.You can rather claim damages against them for making defamatory statement against you.So my advice is that there is no need to pay any amount to them now and let them claim it through court.Moreover, if in the terms of engagement , there was no provision to make any payment against shortage of notice period, then your case would be more strong.

In view of the above, you have nothing to worry about.However, you may consult a lawyer in case you receive any legal notice from them and till then keep absolutely quiet.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra