Indian Law/Can I claim equity equity shares and bank account by filing inventory proceeding in Goa

Question
QUESTION: My brother and his wife resided in Goa. They had no children. My brother expired before his wife(no siblings). There is no will.  They had in joint names equity shares in 10 companies and a bank account in Mumbai.

I am the only heir .Can claim these assets by filing for inventory proceedings in Goa?

Please advise.

ANSWER: In the event of death of one of the joint-owners of property like investment,Bank Accounts etc.,the oqnershipo automatically passes to the servivor.Therefore, you have no merit in filing a suit to claim these assets.However, you may consult a lawyer for apprpriate action in the matter.

QUESTION: In this case there is no survivor as both of them have passed away. My brother died first followed by his wife. His wife had no other siblings and her parents are expired.

I am the only heir on my brothers side. So can i claim these assets(shares and bank account in mumbai by filing for inventory proceedings in Goa?

Answer
If a person dies without making any WILL,then the properties left by him will be distributed equally amongst his legal heirs preferably to class-I e.g. his  wife/children and otherwise to class-II e.g. his father/mother/own brothers /sisters etc. by the court as per the provisions of The Hindu Succesion Act,1956.However, an application is to be made to the court for the purpose.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra