Indian Law/Legal Heir

My father passed away 12 years back. He has 4 siblings. The legal heirs of my father are his mother (grandmother), wife and 2 kids (me and my sister). Grandmother passed away recently. So who are the legal heirs of my father now. Do his sisters or brothers have claim on his property?

If the a male person dies after making his WILL, then after his death ,his wealth will be distributed according to it.However, if he dies without making a WILL then the wealth is distributed equally to the legal heirs of the deceased preferably to his Class-I heirs and otherwise to his Class-II heirs by the court as per the provisions of  The Hindu Succession Act,1956 and in the absence of both to Agnates and Cognates.
Legal heirs have been well defined in the above Act and in case the deceased was a male then his Class I & Class II heirs will be as under:
Class I relations
• Son/Daughter
• Widow
• Mother
• Son/Daughter of a pre-deceased son (per-deceased means “already Dead”)
• Son/Daughter of a pre-deceased Daughter
• Widow of a pre-deceased son
• Son/Daughter of a pre-deceased son of a pre-deceased son (3 levels)
• Widow of a pre-deceased son of a predeceased son
Class II relations
• Father
• Brother/Sister
• Son’s daughter’s son/daughter,
• Daughter’s son’s son/daughter
• Daughter’s daughter’s son/daughter
• Sibling son/daughter
• Father’s Parents
• Brother’s widow
• Father’s sibling
• Mother’s parents
• Mother’s sibling
Therefore, in the instant case , if your father died without making any WILL, then his wealth will be distrbuted to his legal heirs as per the List shown above.
However, you may consult a lawyer for further advice in the matter.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra

Contract Law,Companies Act,Sale of Goods Act,Partnership Act,Negotiable Instument Acts,Constitution of India,Arbitration Act,Consumer Protection Act,Maternity Act,Payment of Gratuity Act,Payment of Bonus Act,Shops & Establishment Act etc.The answer to the grievance of the particular online query depends on the facts of the particular case and law applicable to it.However,my comments relating to the various queries raised through the "All Experts" should not be treated as legal advices and should not at all be relied upon.I do not accept any responsibility for them.They will only give you some ideas about the probable merits of your cases.Ultimate actions/decisions in the matter may please be taken in consultation with the Legal Experts in the relevant fields.My purpose of giving the comments is to increase my own knowledge on the subjects and share it with others.It is purely of academic interest to me. I strongly feel the more knowledge we share,the more we shall be able to learn because there is neither any age nor any end to learning.

I have experience of dealing with matters relating to holdings of board/general meetings,maintenance of statutory registers,filing of necessary returns with the RoC,obtaining licenses for import,replies to Parliament Questions,dealing with the Parliamentary Committees,appearing before various courts to defend my employers,filing affidavits/counter -affidavits,preparing written statements/re-joinder,giving advice to management on complicated legal issues,preparation,drafting and vetting of contracts etc. I have more than 35 years of experiences to deal with the Company Law and Other Commercial Laws of leading Organisations in the country both in Public as well as Private Sectors.

Member,Inst. of Chartered Accountants of India Member,Inst. of Company Secretaries of India; Member,Bar Council of India Member,All India Management Association Member,Delhi Management Association Ex. Vice-Chairman,Durgapore Chapter of the I.C.A.I. Expert ,CA Club India Expert ,Lawyers Club India Expert,AllExperts Ex. Faculty ,I.C.S.I as well as I.C.W.A of India Retd. Co. Secy. & G.M.(Law)/NFL(A Mini-Ratna A Schedule Central P.S.U.),New Delhi Ex.V.P.(Secretarial Dept.),Jaiprakash Associates Ltd. Ex. Co. Secy.,MAMC(A Govt. of India Enterprise),Durgapore

Obtained ''A'' Grade Certificate in the Parliamentary Procedure from the Secy. General of Parliament in 1994-95.It was in connection with a training course conducted by the BPE for PSU Executives.

I am presently working as a Company Secretary in Old World Hospitality Pvt. Ltd.located in Delhi.It is engaged in Hospitality Industry.It has Units in India and abroad.It has been given the responsibility to look after operation & Management of ''India Habetat Centre'' located at Lodhi Road,New Delhi.