Indian Law/maternity benefit act

Question
QUESTION: I am a company secretary of a private limited compnay having less than 10 employees and i am expected to deliver my second child in the month of february 2012.

Can i avail the benefits of the maternity benefit act.

ANSWER:  The Maternity Benefit Act,1961 covers all women employees either employed directly or through contractor employed in mines, factories, plantations and also in other establishments,provided the State Government so decides.  

Conditions for eligibility of benefits
Women indulging temporary of unmarried are eligible for maternity benefit when she is expecting a child and has worked for her employer for at least 80 days in the 12 months immediately proceeding the date of her expected delivery.

For further details, you may consult your HR Dept.

QUESTION: I am still in a confusion and there are basically only two points which should be cleared:
1. is maternity benefit act is applicable to a company registered under companies act 1956

2. if applicable than what about if no of employees is less than 10.

My HR dept has niether any views nor has any policy on that. Please guide me and if you have any case law in support pls provide. It would be a great help for me

Answer
The Maternity Benefit Act,1961 covers all women employees either employed directly or through contractor employed in mines, factories, plantations and also in other establishments,provided the State Government so decides.  

The Act is applicable to other establishments (coming under the purview of Shops and Commercial Establishments Act) only,if it engages/engaged  10 or more employees on any day of the preceeding 12 months.

However,women who are covered by ESI Act are not covered by this Act.

In view of the above,the Act is certainly applicable to a Pvt. Ltd. Company registered under the Companies Act,1956 provided it engages/engaged  10 or more employees on any day of the preceeding 12 months and ESI Act is not applicable to it.

There is no ambiguity in this regard because the Act is very specific about it.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra