Indian Law/Property issue

Question
Hi There,

My name is Avinash and i am 23 years old, currently working in a company.

i have a issue with my grandfather propety.

my father was a alcoholic person never used to take care of the family and left us making debts and ran away and paseed away few years before my uncle who is younger brother of my father has pledged all the documnets in the bank and taken loans and enjoyed,
he even has sold same propety to many people and taken money with my dad who was not taking care of us financially nor supported as in any instance now since my father is no more the property has come to my mom and uncle name.

my uncle has again pledged the property and has taken advance from third party.

I have three question to ask.

1.Are we legally bound to pay off all the debt that my dad has made with my uncle.
2.Do the party and the bank have authortiy to confisite the property.
3.Can we file any fraud case against my uncle and put him behind bars and do we have forgo our land for my uncle mistakes cause we have not had a single penny profit from the proprty.

Thanks and regards,

Avinash Shivaram

Answer
Pledge takes place when an asset is transferred to a lender for the purpose of securing a debt. The lender of the debt enjoys possession of the pledged asset, but does not have ownership of it unless default occurs. It is a kind of bailment.Only the true owner can pledge his assets to a lender.The lender normally verifies the title-deeds through a lawyer before lending money on the basis of pledged assets.

A person becomes owner of the ancestral property provided no will was made by the deceased or the property has passed to him through the will.In case no will was made , the wealth of the deceased are transferred to his legal heirs equally in accordance with the provisions of the Hindu Succession Act,1956.

In the instant case , if your father and uncles were owners of the properties pledged by them,then there was no irregularity on their part.If the liability for repayment of loan was joint and several to them,then after the death of your father,your uncle will be solely responsible for repayment of the outstanding loan,failing which the amount may be recovered by the lender by disposing off the pledged assets.However, if the pledged assets are not sufficient to repay the loan,then you may be liable proportionately as a legal representative of your father provided your father and uncle were not severally liable for the debts.

Moreover, it was the moral duty of your father to take care of his family.However, if he has not done it, then nothing could be done against him at this stage because he is no more.

In view of the above, apparently, you have nothing to worry about.However, please consult a lawyer alongwith all your relevant documents and follow his advice in the matter.  

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra