Indian Law/Division of property

Question
QUESTION: Dear Arun,

My situation is as follow:

My grandfather died in year 1984, and left a big house in city and land in near by village. My grandfather has 7 brother including my father. Though my grandfather has written a will, but it never put in forward by one of my uncle, and now he claims its non-existence. In 2005, four of my uncles sold the part of our house without taking consent of others, though we did not file any case at that time. This year, my other two uncles sold the part of house to same buyer leaving the part in which my family lives in. We live in 1st floor of two storey house, whose ground floor has many shops with high market value. All the shops has been given away. We occupy four rooms of which two don't have any land underneath. My questions are:

1. How the division of a property is done under our law? Is it divided by area or current market value?

2. Can we claim the 1/7th of land on which house was built, without giving away the portion we currently occupy?

I am looking forward to your suggestions, thanks for your time.
regards

ANSWER: If a man dies intestate, then after his death, his wealth passes to his legal heirs preferably class-I comprising widow,sons/daughters etc.and otherwise to class-II comprising his father, brothers/sisters etc.on the basis of the Succession Certificate issued by the court.However, if he has made a WILL, then his wealth will be distributed to persons as per his last desire made in it.For the purpose of execution of the WILL, it is required to be probated.
Once the property is sold through a validly executed and registered Conveyance-Deed its ownership passes to the transferee.Further, only the true can transfer ownership of the property and no one else.
In view of the above,in the instant case ,due to not getting the WILL probated,after the death of your grand-father, his wealth devolved upon his wife and children equally provided a Succession Certificate was issued by the court.You have not mentioned whether your grand-father left his wife and children.If yes, then they will get equal shares in the said property and none of his brothers shall be entitled to it.
Further, if your uncles sold any property belonging to them by complying with the law, then the transfer will be valid.Exact position can be ascertained by verifying the title-deed of the property through an advocate.Further if neither any probate was done of the WILL nor a Succession Certificate was obtained from the court, then there will be no transfer of property.
Apparently, you do not have any share in the property.However,you may consult a lawyer with full facts as well as relevant documents and follow his advice on the matter.

QUESTION: Dear Arun,

Thanks for your detailed answer and time. Though i made a typing error while framing the question. In fact, I wanted to say that my grandfather has 7 children (not brother) including my father and rest is same. My question in large is 1)how is a property divided under our law? Is it divided by area or current market value?
2) Since there was no legal division of house done or NOC taken, is the transfer valid or one can challenge it?

i again apologize for my mistake, and appreciate your patience.
regards

Answer
In the instant case ,due to not getting the WILL probated,after the death of your grand-father, his wealth devolved upon his wife and children equally provided a Succession Certificate was issued by the court.The said division is made area wise.If no Succession Certificate was issued,then the property will devove upon persons mentioned in the WILL provided it is probated.If the transfer was made by your uncle without valid ownership then it will be absolutely void because under law only the true owner can dispose off the property and no one else.For example,I have no authority to sell property belonging to you.Therefore, if your uncle has sold any property belonging to you,then you have a valid ground to challenge it before the court.Sale-Deed can be executed only by the true owner or his authorised representative through a power of attorney.Apparently, you have a strong case.However, please take apprpriate action on the matter by consulting a suitable lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra